Save Our Sea Turtles (SOS) Tobago, Turtle Watching Tour Operators
Save Our Sea Turtles (SOS) Tobago is a small, volunteer based organization formed in 2000 with an ambitious mission to conserve Tobago’s sea turtle population and their coastal and marine habitat through research, education and eco-tourism.
SOS Tobago was formed in February 2000 with an ambitious mission to conserve Tobago’s sea turtle population and their coastal and marine habitat through community based initiatives in research, education and eco-tourism. Our education team conducts interactive lectures and field trips for communities and schools and produces educational displays at a variety of events and venues throughout the year. The SOS Beach Patrol Team originated in 2000 solely as a seasonal protective body in response to the illegal slaughtering nesting leatherbacks in the Black Rock area. Since then, the poaching situation has somewhat improved and the focus broadened to include more scientific research and monitoring both on the nesting beaches and at sea. We also facilitate turtle watch training for registered tour guides, presentations for beachfront hotel staff, management and guests about appropriate conduct on turtle nesting beaches, turtle watching guidelines, hotel lecture series, visitor information packs, and turtle tours.
Laws pertaining to environment are not respected. There is inadequate knowledge, understanding and enforcement of and respect for existing environmental laws. Loss of secure nesting beach habitat due to coastal development, beachfront lighting, sand mining and sea level rise is becoming a greater problem every year. Belle Garden Wetlands Association (BGWA), Save Our Sea Turtles (SOS) Tobago and Tobago House of Assembly - Department of Natural Resources and the Environment (DNRE) jointly locally combined with inadequate legislation and resources to address the ongoing poaching problem is by far the greatest threat to Tobago’s turtles.
The education team focuses on raising public awareness through talks and field trips for villages, schools and summer camps. More details about Tobago Sea Turtles : http://www.ashleybakken.com/
Save Our Sea Turtles (SOS) Tobago Key Partners and Resources:
The success of these projects are very much dependent on the involvement, not just of the volunteers, but also the tour guides, tourists, beachfront hotels and residents so our Education and Eco-Tourism programs play an essential supporting role.
- Environment TOBAGO (ET)
- Buccoo Reef Trust (BRT)
WIDECAST - Widecast Country Coordinator In Trinidad & Tobago:
PO Box 4535, 10 1/4mm Toco Main Road, Matura, Trinidad W.I.
Tel/Fax: (868) 668-7337 or Cell: 366-1031
Visit: WIDECAST, the regional sea turtle network, Trinidad & Tobago
- Department of Natural Resources & Environment, Tobago House of Assembly
- Wildlife Section Forestry Division, Tobago House of Assembly
- Turtle Village Trust (TVT)
P.O. Box 1109, Wrightson Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Tel: (868) 638 5953 / 674 4213
Fax: (868) 638 5953
- The Barbados Sea Turtle Project
- Sea Turtle Conservation Travel , a project of The Ocean Foundation
- The Travel Foundation, Tobago
Turtle Watching Tour Guides
By working with local guides and guest houses as well as international tour operators and volunteer placement organizations, SOS Tobago try to increase the financial benefits of turtle conservation to the community and to encourage the spread of ‘turtle friendly’ practices and policies on and off the beach.
- Harris Jungle Tours, Phone :  868 639-0513 (home), Cell :  868 759 0170, Email : harr...@hotmail.com , Website: http://www.harris-jungle-tours.com/
- Tour Tobago, Pigeon Point, Tobago, West Indies, Trinidad & Tobago. E-mail: tour...@yahoo.com Telephone: 1-868-734-8093, Mobile: 1-868-477-4795, Website: http://www.tobagotour.com/
- Ellis Clarke Tours, Trinidad and Tobago Tourism Industry Certification (TTTIC) Certified, Tel: (868) 660-4851, (868) 682-9147
- Birdie's Nest, Courland Bush Trace Black Rock, Tobago, West Indies. Telephone: +(868) 639-7988 or 639-7544, Email: Pri...@BirdiesNestTobago.com , Website: http://www.birdiesnesttobago.com/
- Auldwyn Lyndsay Apartments, Black Rock village, on Tobago's Caribbean coast, mid-way between Grafton Beach and Turtle Beach. Tel: (868) 635-0623 http://www.mytobago.info/apartments/auldwyn-lindsay-apartments.htm
- Duke Robinson Guest House, Courland Bush Street, Black Rock, Tobago, West Indies. Phone +1 (868) 639-8626, Fax +1 (868) 639-8626, Cell: +1 (868) 725-2859, E-Mail: duke...@tstt.net.tt , Website: http://www.duke-robinson-tobago.com/
- Plantation Beach Villas, Stonehaven Bay Road, Black Rock, PO Box 435, Scarborough, Tobago - West Indies. Tel: (+ 868) 639.9377, 800 633 7411 (Toll Free), Email: plan...@tstt.net.tt , Website: http://www.plantationbeachvillas.com/
- The Villas at Stonehaven, Stonehaven Bay, Tobago Tel.: +1 (868)-639-0361 Fax: +1 (868)-639-0102 email: ston...@tstt.net.tt , Website: http://www.stonehavenvillas.com/
- Bayview Villa, located on a hillside overlooking beautiful Stonehaven Bay, Tobago, Phone: Tobago: (868) 635-1481 / UK: 01737-822025 / 07931-385647, Fax: Tobago: (868) 481-5986, Email: Book...@BayviewVillas.co.uk , Website: http://www.bayviewvillas.co.uk/
- Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel, Store Bay Local Road, Crown Point, Tobago, Phone: (868) 639 8442, Fax:(868) 639-8441, Email: kari...@tstt.net.tt , Website: http://www.kariwak.com/
- The Fish Pot Tobago, Lunch and icecream near in the lively village of Pleasant Prospect next to the main nesting beaches plus dinner and entertainment on Friday. Pleasant Prospect, Tobago WI, T: +1868 635 1728 E: fish...@gmail.com , http://thefishpot.blogspot.com/
- The Signature Lounge -- Where Good People Meet Great People. For exotic cocktails, famous geera finger foods, a game of pool and Cool Vibes, Balcony with View of the Caribbean Sea, one can go to the Signature Lounge, run by Morgan & Fred, upstairs the ATM machine. TOBAGO's #1 GEERA PORK AND GEERA CHICKEN SPOT. Lyrical Lounge Venue. Karaoke Venue. Island Jazz Venue. The Signature Lounge is becoming Tobago's "Arts Bar". Great Food, Drinks People and Vibes! Contact: The Signature Lounge, Pleasant Prospect, Tobago, next door to Fish Pot poetry, pool, drinks, play pool at Signature Lounge & get a Soca Warrior shot and more!
- La Tartaruga - Italian Restaurant, Buccoo Bay Road, Buccoo, Tobago, West Indies. For Reservations, call (868) 6390940, Email: i...@latartarugatobago.com Website: http://www.latartarugatobago.com/contact.htm
- Tobago Mountain Bike Trails
- Sea Shepherd - The Sea Shepherd posse came to Tobago a few years ago to collaborate with SOS Tobago and did a month long patrol of Northern beaches They are true earth warriors and are always willing to put themselves and their ships in harm's way to protect Mother Earth's sea creatures. More details: http://www.seashepherd.org/
Address and Contact:
Save Our Sea Turtles (SOS) Tobago
125 Black Rock Main Road, Black Rock, Tobago.
Tel: 868 290 3797
All illegal activity should be reported to:
Tobago Police Hotline – 999
Department of Natural Resources and the Environment – 639-2273
SOS Tobago – 290-6798
Turtle Watching Guidelines at SOS Tobago Website: http://sos-tobago.org/Turtle%20Watching%20Tips.html